training for ASI practitioners:
Attachment Style Interview Supplement Adolescent Interview
one day Adolescent Attachment Style Interview (ASI-AD) workshop is a supplement to the Attachment
Style Interview and is currently available to those who have trained
on the ASI. This will introduce the same measure but adapted for young
people aged 14 or more. The ASI-AD assesses the young person’s support
seeking behaviour and attitudes to relationships such as mistrust and
fear of rejection to deduce the same overall styles as for adults. The
support section covers parents and peers as well as other adults.
ASI has been used successfully on adolescent research samples. The interview
is modified slightly to cover support from parent rather than partner
together with Very Close Others who can be either peers (e.g. friends
or siblings/cousins) or adult support figures.
workshop will include adolescent case studies, review research on adolescent
attachment and discussion of its use in practice. For further description
and information regarding the standard ASI measure please see the general
ASI pages (ASI for childrens services link,
or ASI for psychologists and psychiatrists link)
might the ASI-AD be used?
The ASI-AD is currently being used to assess young people in residential
care, and can be used as part of an evidence-based assessment to inform
care planning for young people in need and those Looked After.
does the ASI-AD differ to the ASI for adults?
The main changes are that more people asked as support figures (Mother
and father figure are mandatory) and language of the questions is more
suitable for the age group.
The one day training will involve use of PowerPoint presentation,
case examples for rating, as well as group discussions to draw on practice
experience, consistent with the ASI training. Two trainers will be present
for a maximum group of 16 trainees.
is the training suitable for?
The training will be suitable for the same practitioners (social workers,
psychologists, psychotherapists) who already use the ASI in children’s
services. It is only available to those fully trained in the ASI and
who hold an attendance certificate for the training.
Next training date for Adolescent ASI interview: tbc (contact us for further information). The training will be taking place at our Hendon campus venue, North London. The fee is £250 per person.
Please note that this training is only available to those who have attended full 4 day adult ASI training and hold a certificate of training.
Please email us if you require further details or would like to book a place.
ASI for Adolescents - training feedback
• Thank you (to trainer) for providing such an informative training, this has been a stimulating learning experience
• Fully enjoyed the training and found the whole training well organized and interesting. Thank you.
• I have really enjoyed the training fascinating and insightful – thank you
• (our trainer) has been fantastic and understanding trainer. She has shared a wealth of invaluable knowledge that has enhanced my skills – Thank you!!
• The most informative and influencing course I have had in relation to how it has positively impacted on my personal development,. It has enhanced my ability to practice in my field of work. The trainer was very supportive.
• Very good course. (The trainer) lead a great course –lots of clear info and handouts. I feel very confident to now be an ASI champ.
• Fantastic training, easy to follow. (The trainer) is clear and has explained things so easily. I am delighted to have completed the training. (The trainer) has also offered her support whenever needed which is fantastic!
Caring about attachment in young people in residential care: The use of the Attachment Style Interview.
Report of a voluntary sector and university partnership (‘Community Care Inform’ electronic information source. Spring 2012)
ASI for Adolescents - materials and services
Materials and services, such as case rating reliability check, is now available to those who have fully trained in the in the Adolescen ASI measure. Printed or Electronic copies of the Interview Pack are available to those who have completed the training. Please contact us for more details and to purchase packs lifespantraining at mdx.ac.uk
ASI TRAINING IN THE UK IS ONLY PROVIDED BY CHILD AND FAMILY TRAINING AND CATS TEAM AT MIDDLESEX UNIVERSITY. WHILST OTHER AGENCIES ARE FREE TO DISCUSS IN THEIR IN HOUSE TRAINING ISSUES RAISED BY THE USE OF STANDARDISED ATTACHMENT MEASURES IN CHILD CARE PRACTICE, THESE DO NOT CONSTITUTE RECOGNISED TRAINING FOR THIS INTERVIEW. THE ASI MATERIALS SHOULD NOT BE USED BY THOSE WHO HAVE NOT ATTENDED OUR 4 DAY COURSES, SINCE WE CANNOT SUPPORT THEIR RELIABLE EXPERT USE.